13 July 2006

a lot of piecing going on around here



In our small apartment, our dining room table is where we do everything: Twin does her proofreading, I do my crafting, bills are paid there, mail and magazines piled. Pretty much the only thing we don't do at the dining table is eat. We generally do that in the living room area, oddly enough. Probably because the dining room table is always piled high with junk.

But we spend a lot of time sitting at that table. Twin has been complaining volubly and frequently about the chairs since I moved in two years ago. They are from IKEA. They're pretty nice chairs and I have always liked the rattan seats on them. But the rattan is not very soft, and leaves that lovely pattern of lines on the back of your legs if you're wearing shorts.



Last weekend I finally got cushions made for the chairs. I was inspired by this pillow I saw on Shim and Sons, which was actually made by Tammie of Head Full of Pixies. And oh, oh, she sells them in her shop! Check it out. For mine, I didn't quilt the cushions because I was a bit lazy and preoccupied making all that piping and all those ties. The devil was definitely in the details on this one, as well as the volume—I'm not used to making four of anything.



I had some strips left over so I made a pillow for the sofa. I had a 16" pillow to cover and so of course I trimmed the pieces to exactly 16." Um...SEAM ALLOWANCES!! I am going to tattoo those words on the back of my hand. But I just sewed it up anyway and stuffed the pillow in. And it seems to fit fine, nice and plump. I guess learning to sew is a lot like learning to bake: there are certain places where you learn you can fudge the details. Don't bother sifting the flour in this recipe, but sure as heck do it for that one or it won't come out right. Ditto with seam allowances.



And since I obviously hadn't had enough piecing yet, I made a new pincushion for myself. With a little leather button. I filled it with polyfill, which I find a little too poofy. My grandmother had one I remember that seemed to be made of a dense straw fill or something of that weight which I loved. (marmee--do you still have it? What on earth is in it?) Does anyone have any good suggestions for filling pincushions? I know emery keeps pins nice and sharp, but a big pincushion filled with emery would weigh about 10 lbs wouldn't it?

I'm through with the piecing for the time being, and I am happy to report that Twin's little bum is cushioned on a cloud of softness, and her legs have nary a single unsightly line.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look great, I was just thinking today that I should make some cushions for my kitchen chairs...

Anonymous said...

Love your cushions -- all of them!
I think Grandma's pincushion was stuffed with sawdust or wood chips. I did a Google (Marmee's Universal Resource) and saw that people fill pincushions with wool (yarn, fabric scraps, raw wool), animal bedding products (wood chips, chopped walnut hulls), an SOS pad (that would keep needles bright without using all that emery), and sand (like the play sand we used to fill your turtle sandbox with).
Or you could use a combination -- maybe a pocket of emery or SOS on the pincushion -- but then you already have an emery strawberry, don't you!
Good going, angel child! Your Grandma would be most impressed.

Anonymous said...

After thinking today, maybe it was stuffed with straw or excelsior. You know how old peoples' memories are....

Anonymous said...

I love your cushions! The H.Ross fabric is so soft, I love it!

Anonymous said...

I'm a dork, I just realized you used Denyse Schmidt fabric. Oh, I like her fabric too!

Anonymous said...

I love all your combinations! Nice work!