29 September 2010

painting books

When Twin graduated from her library science program, I painted a set of bookcovers depicting her most beloved books. I had the idea after seeing the artwork of Jane Mount, who has done an awesome series of paintings called the Ideal Bookshelf. I loved the idea, so I asked Jennie to give me a list of her nine favorite books of all time. I ran out of steam after the first six, but I still think they are a pretty cool display. Christmas Carol was one of my favorites to paint. I found an image of an old vintage copy online with Mr. and Mrs. Fezziwig dancing. This Rough Magic is one of our beloved Mary Stewart books. Jennie and I have loved every single one of her books, since the day long ago when Mom first put one in our hands.

The Blue Castle is by L.M. Montgomery--one of her few stand-alone novels. Tells the tale of a spinster who has given up hope of finding love. (But don't worry, it's actually very funny.) Horton was a book that was read and re-read to us by our mother. "A person's a person, no matter how small."

The Frog and Toad books, on the other hand, were always read to us by our father at bedtime. And of course, we had to include a Jane Austen. Funny how Twin's list of favorite books would be nearly identical to mine. Or maybe not so unexpected. The books that are most dear to us are the ones that have been our friends for many years.

Here they are all together. I am not much of a watercolorist, but I really had fun making these. And hopefully they will help liven up Twin's new office, now that she is a really-truly librarian, all official-like.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

They are beautiful. What a wonderful idea!

house on hill road said...

you amaze me.
and did i tell you how happy i am that you are blogging again? super happy!

Connie said...

Not a watercolorist? These are simply charming. Now I only feel sad that I don't know some of these books.

Jennie said...

Yay! I'm still trying to decide which wall of my office these need to go on. I'm thinking right above my desk - so I can see them when I look up from my computer. :)

xo