04 September 2006

fun with the inkjet



I made this pencil case last week as a gift for our intern at work who decided to stay on through the fall semester (yippeee!). It's inspired by this t-shirt at Veer. It's been a bit of a running joke at work that the intern and I, who are the only designers in our office, don't actually do work, we just "draw pictures all day." The implication being that everybody else does the real work, which involves numbers and spreadsheets and such. To which we designers just respond that they are obviously jealous of our super fun jobs. And it's all funny and okay because there is, in fact, a lot of mutual respect at our office. They're good people like that.

I printed on the fabric by just attaching the fabric to fusible interfacing, taping it to a piece of paper, and running it through my inkjet. I was rather surprised it worked, having read about Bubble Jet Set and all the steps that are involved in using it. Perhaps this won't be as permanent?

I experimented further with the printing on fabric this weekend with this little recipe card holder. The pattern is from the Amy Butler book. Then I made recipe cards to go with it. I think if I make more, I will make them slightly larger, as you would probably have to write really eensy-teensy to get a recipe to fit on those cards. Ah, well. Prototype.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie! I love it all! I just cut fabric for a pencil case! LOVE the recipe cards + holder.

Anonymous said...

I love this pencil case. I love the ruler and the numbers and the font and the colors. I love everything about it.

sulu-design said...

I'm in love with it all! The pencil case is adorable and the recipe holder is so sweet - great cards, too. You should be selling this stuff - people (like me) would be knocking down your door for it! I can't wait to see what's next...

hannah said...

good night lady! this is all so awesome!! please, please, please sell those recipe cards so i can have some...

Anonymous said...

you are so clever and fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Wow, these are really great!

Anonymous said...

I am the proud owner of that case and it ROCKS!!!! I show it to EVERYONE (whipping it out at school yesterday was particularly fun) and they all agree, you've got such a talent!! Thank you for the case, the krispy treats and MOST OF ALL- the opportunity!! :)

Anonymous said...

I love your pencil case! I can't draw pictures to save my life, but I want one just like it anyway.

Anonymous said...

I love the printing on the fabric!! Do you know how permenent it is yet? I'm really interested in trying it.

Anonymous said...

Love it! (BTW, I tried the fabric printing thing a while back and found that the ink does bleed if it gets wet.)

Dorie said...

just taking a stroll down memory lane here and must tell you - i still use this pencil case ALL THE TIME. it sits right there on my home desk at the ready for whatever writing needs arise. still one of the best gifts ever! :)

ps - the word that blogger made me type to verify i was human was "hymoomis" - i thought you'd enjoy saying that... i can just picture you doing so...