27 February 2011

weekender bag

The Weekender Bag is done! Now I need to make an "I survived the Weekender Bag" t-shirt. I just love the way it turned out though. It has such a pretty shape and I love the fabric Mom picked out. The piping and lining are a simple blue and white ticking which is a nice contrast to the bold print.

The construction of this bag really isn't that difficult--I don't want to scare anyone away from the pattern. The instructions are very thorough and easy to follow, and I really enjoyed the whole process. It gets a bit tricky in parts because the interfacing makes it so bulky and unwieldy. Sewing the main panels onto the gusset was, quite literally, a workout. I don't think I've ever broken a sweat while sewing before, but maybe sewing should involve more sweat (better than tears anyway). There is also a good bit of hand sewing to do at the end to secure the lining inside the bag, but it comes out looking so nice both inside and out.

At the last minute I decided it needed a little something, so I made a little silk flower using this tutorial (awesome and easy). I had bought a scrap of dupioni silk over the winter and this seemed like a great use for a little bit of it.

A beautiful bag for my beautiful mama. Happy happy birthday.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great. And that fabric is fabulous! Very classy.

Katie said...

Excellent job on the bag, the fabric was a great choice!

amy h said...

Hey -- it turned out awesome! Great job.

Marmee said...

Wow. It looks so great. I can't wait to use it!

Phoebe said...

It looks so awesome, great work! I've made two Weekender bags, so I know how hard that pattern is. I especially love the ticking lining.

house on hill road said...

ooh! beautiful!

Friend of Marmee said...

Wow indeed. Beautiful job, Julie. And I wish I had a dollar for every mile that bag's going to travel with your marmee!

Elizabeth said...

Just lovely! What is the main fabric? Would you mind sharing the designer or where to find it? Thanks!

julieree said...

Hi Elizabeth,

It's a Waverly fabric called "Lovely Lattice." This is the lapis colorway. I bought it at a discount home dec fabric outlet we have here in Burlington, NC. But I did see it online here. It's a nice fabric, not as heavy as some home dec fabrics. Thanks!

Julie

AJ said...

Love the fabric and the finish!