04 March 2007

linen tunic smocky dress thing



Or maybe you can just call it a muu-muu (moo-moo? mumu? moooooooooo. mooooooooooo.) A couple weeks ago, I absolutely fell in love with this dress that Fanja of le train fantôme made. It's just gorgeous. (As is her blog.) She used a vintage pattern but I said to myself "oh, I don't need a pattern. I'll just figure it out as I go along; it can't be too difficult." Erm, vaulting ambition o'erleaping itself and all that. My first version, which I had luckily decided to make out of muslin, had armholes so small I couldn't fit my arms through. That will never do.



I eventually got it to look like I wanted, and Twin had the nice idea to use the inverted pleat instead of gathering to make it look a little less moo-moo-y.


The linen I got thanks to the tip from Liesl about Grayline Linens. The store is just nine blocks from my office! EEE! I went at lunch on Friday and I was just giddy. I think the fellow cutting my fabric got the wrong impression because I had this big goofy grin on my face. No, I am not salivating over your bulging pectorals, young man, I am salivating over this linen. (ok, I guess I did notice his fine physique, but I was MUCH more interested in the linen.)



I thought the selvage was so beautiful I used it instead of a regular hem.


And here's the rest of my haul. I am always drawn to the neutral, brown-y tones but I have such a hard time wearing them because I am so fair-skinned. I was happy to find the beautiful blue, which does not make me look like the walking dead. Quite the reverse.



And now I leave you with a peep. PEEP!!

19 comments:

Sasha said...

Wow, I am so impressed that you made that dress, very cool! I love linen selvages, I made a dress for my daughter with a sevlage edge. Of course I did get comments about how I didn't finish the hem, but I think it is lovely.

Anonymous said...

Julie, I LOVE this tunic. SO chic. Love the selvedge [did you know there are two ways to spell that...hmm...just figured that out right now]. Anyhoo...I would totally buy this if you were inclined to make another one. =) And how jealous am I that you are so close to all that linen? Very.

Anonymous said...

julie! beautiful and such a wonderful color. and linen - how nice!

Matroskin said...

I'm making a bit similar dress, except the sleeves are slightly puffed and there's a frill at the hem. That garment (yours I mean) is really pretty.

shari said...

hi julie. i think your tunic is so wonderful. love the color and the selvedge. cute cute cute. cheers!

Anonymous said...

I want one too!

Robyn said...

It's really beautiful! And the edge is perfect for it.

Stephanie said...

i lost track of HOW i found your blog..but, let's just say, i am so glad i DID!! i love this top! and i can't believe how pretty the salvage is! great work! it looks so comfy!

Amanda Jean said...

wow, you amaze me girl! the selvedge edging at the bottom is the perfect touch to it. Love it!

Sarah said...

Ooo.. I agree with all about the selvedge! Easy and beautiful hem. Looks great.

amisha said...

this is so beautiful and looks so springtime! very comfy *and* hip. i especially love the selvedge hem with its little stripes. and ohhh... i'm jealous of your proximity to grayline. i have been drooling over their website since liesl posted it :)

KELLY said...

wow...i love it!! absolutely the cutest tunic i've clapped eyes on in ages...and how impressive to hear how you made it completely from scratch. (an organic tunic!) found you via shari's blog...i'll be back! x

sulu-design said...

So... I may have to stop reading your blog for the sake of my marriage - every time you post I get giddy with delight over your amazing work, and then I ramble on and on about how fabulously talented you are for at least fifteen minutes to poor Barry who usually has just stepped foot in the door. Point being, you seriously blow me away - this design is SO COOL - I love the inverted pleat. The fabric, color, and use of selvage are just perfect.

Anonymous said...

yeah, you are good. you've totally got sally's number, too.

and you've showcased another wonderful thing your particular body looks super good in. i trust you know what i'm saying here...

Connie said...

what a lovely linen smocky tunic thing! and a peep! is it time for peeps already?!

fanja said...

Hi Julie, your dress is a beauty, thank you so much for the mention and nice comment! the shape of your dress is so nice and simple, i love the reverted pleat, so gracious! i always have problem with the armholes too and always end up having my sleeves shorter than they should be.. and the linen you got is to die for!

nuttnbunny said...

Gorgeous! Won't you make a pattern? Please?

Anonymous said...

Wow. I love your idea to use the selvage edge instead of a hem! It looks great, and saves hassle too. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

Rather nice place you've got here. Thanks the author for it. I like such themes and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Best regards
Timm Clade