11 February 2007

hankie



A hankie with which to blow my little snout. Am I the only one who finds embroidery a sublimely meditative activity? Clears the head, doesn't it? This week I have been admiring Toni's wonderful trailer park pillows. Oh, I want one. I may have to stalk her etsy shop until another one comes up.

My mom has a treasured little volume of embroidery designs by an Australian embroiderer (embroideress? hmmm, that's got a nice ring to it) called Embroidered Garden Flowers. I borrowed the book from my mom a couple years ago, with the hopes that she might forget I had nicked it. (no, just kidding, Mom. I'm absolutely going to give it back. Really. Really.)



Look at that wisteria! And the magnolia! I can't even begin to imagine how many hours go into something like that. A whole heap of a heck of a lot.



I love that her flowers actually look like specific flowers. No generic daisy-like blobby flowers for her. On the hankie I embroidered a Solomon's Seal. Except I made it pink instead of white, which probably ruins the botanical accuracy. Sacrilege.



Tonight I've got a lily-of-the-valley on my hoop. A favorite flower of mine. Maybe I can embroider my way straight into spring. And I'll call myself an embroideress. Because that just sounds cool.

And yeah, that says "snotrag" on my hankie. I think it's funny, but I do have a rather odd sense of humor. ;)

17 comments:

Nadia said...

So darling!

I have that exact same pale blue hoop. You're making me want to get it out and daintify up my life.

amisha said...

i love the different embroidered flowers... beautiful! i get the embroidery bug every couple of months and it is all i want to do. very relaxing and engrossing. i really only know how to do the chain stitch though so some practice is needed...

Anonymous said...

i, too, love embroidery...it is so calming. your hankie is beautiful. what are you going to do with the lily of the valley?

Amanda Jean said...

I like your term embroideress...

Jessica said...

That is so fun! I've never embroidered before, but it gives me a hankering to make a hankie! :D

Anonymous said...

my mom did elaborate portraits like this. big ones. i think she was about my age, too, which i think is hilarious now.

there was/is a japanese craft book that is similar in its portrayal of flower types... i need to find it...

Anonymous said...

Snotrag embroidered (in pink!) on your hankie. You are hysterical. But your embroidery is lovely, and I adore that little lily of the valley.

I just bought a bunch of plain white napkins at Ikea yesterday thinking that I'd like somewhere to practice my er, budding embroidery skills.

amy h said...

I think your snotrag is very funny -- especially with pink, loopy script.

My yard is filled with lily of the valley -- can't wait till spring!

African Kelli said...

This makes me want to sit down and learn how to truly embroider. That book is just fantastic! What a trove of ideas. A garden, one might say...

Kate said...

Just gorgeous! Nice work.

sulu-design said...

I've said it before, I'll say it again, you should be selling this stuff! I'd definitely buy a snotrag!

Anonymous said...

That is totally hilarious that your hankie says "snotrag"! It's perfect that it looks so pretty, but says something so base.
I love Lily of the Valleys too. A bouquet full of them for my wedding had I.

Anonymous said...

The most dainty snotrag I've ever seen. I need to embroider more...I think I'm too impatient though.

Anonymous said...

That book looks amazing, I love embroidery and think I may adopt the title embrioderess!!

Connie said...

these are all just so great! i love the snot rag you make me want to pick up a hoop now, but last time I embroidered anything it was from a kit when i was 9 for mother's day...hmm.

Anonymous said...

This is going to sound crazy, but is the book actually embroidered? It looks as if it is in the picture. Makes me want to pick up embroidery again.

Amy Jo said...

LOVE the "snotrag" in pink loopy writing...that is great! In a house of all boys we use that term alot, and it is hysterical when it looks so girly! Love it!