13 July 2011

seersucker shirtdress

I finally made a Lisette pattern! This is the Traveler dress, view A. I didn't alter a single thing, cut it out and made it exactly as the pattern instructed. And it's PERFECT. This is probably the best homemade garment I've made so far. It fits me perfectly, is super comfortable, and is very flattering. It's even cute without the belt because the shape of the dress is so nice.

I used an inexpensive gray stripe seersucker that I got at Joann's. I can remember my grandma had a shirtdress exactly like this. Except hers had shoulder pads because it was the 80s.

The pattern is lovely and straightforward, and includes some really helpful tips along the way. I learned some new things, such as the clever way of finishing the top of the patch pockets with a pintuck. It's also interesting that this collar is all one piece, so you don't have to bother with a collar band. Genius.

It came together quite quickly--I was able to do all the sewing in one afternoon + evening. My buttonholer attachment was being fussy so the 10 buttons seemed a bit intimidating. But the buttonholer cooperated in the end and I attached the 10 charcoal buttons to finish it.

I'm excited to try the other patterns. The Portfolio tunic might be next.

11 comments:

mjb said...

I'm glad to know this is a good pattern! I'm looking forward to trying it.

house on hill road said...

it looks fantastic, julie! i have the pattern...now to find the time!

Jennie said...

nice one, cherie! it looks so pretty, and comfortable too. The seersucker was an excellent choice.

Rachel said...

now I wish I had gotten that pattern when I saw it in Jo-ann's today. Looks great.

Anonymous said...

Looks like I'm headed back to JoAnn's for that seersucker on the clearance shelf! I held it. I wanted it. I had no idea what I'd make with it. Now I know! This is adorable and a perfect crossover for Fall as well, so it's not too late!

Stephanie Fazio (aka lealou) said...

Very cute!!!

sulu-design said...

That is one stinkin' cute dress. And damn your hair has gotten long!

lulabellesview said...

Missing your posts, hoping you're doing well, and thoroughly enjoying the fabric box I was so fortunate to win. It currently holds my iPod and accessories. :)

mosswood said...

Very cute. I must take courage and attempt the collar I am scared of!

titanların öfkesi said...

thank you

Emily said...

Love your version! I'm hoping to pick up the pattern tomorrow!