13 May 2011

ups and downs

I've been in a bit of a crafting rut the past couple weeks. Isn't it funny how that happens sometimes? Creative inspiration seems to dry up and a few failed projects snowball into a general feeling of frustration and inertia. I'm not sure which is the cause and which is the effect, but it is disheartening.

Last week I cut a simple shirt pattern out of a lovely voile, then decided to go off-pattern slightly and replace the gathers with pintucks. Sadly, the pintucks ended up completely off-center (curse you, math skills!). It looked like the pintucks were sliding sideways off my bust, rather than draping oh-so-elegantly across it. Then I cut the back piece too small. Then I couldn't figure out how to attach the straps. Then I threw the whole damn wad of fabric into the scraps bin. Phooey.

Small and simple projects seem to be the best cure for a crisis of crafting confidence. And it doesn't get much smaller or simpler than baby bibs. I used this pattern to make three infant-sized bibs for a friend who is expecting. They are so tiny!

I used a cotton print on the front and a soft flannel on the back. I added a little hippo applique to one. Done and done and couldn't be cuter.

And for another friend who is expecting (it's high baby season around these parts), I have a baby quilt underway. I love the methodical, repetitive process of piecing a quilt. It's almost like meditation. Most restorative for the crafting mojo.

Rather unrelated, but I got home from work today to find these three beautiful little bouquets sitting on the coffee table. All picked from the garden. Yeah, this husband, he's a keeper.

Happy weekend!

3 comments:

Emma said...

Hi,

Thanks for the post its nice to know that I'm not the only one out there who has these ruts sometimes :)

I've been in one too - mine also strated with a disheartening shirt making experience!

Small smiple projects & quiliting usually are a good fix for me too. + I use that same bib pattern all the time!!

Thanks again.

P.S the flowers are just lovely

Dorie said...

i need you to visit! ive decided to refinish two large frames i have that came with art i bought and im also doing some block printing. but i need the help of someone more experienced in this stuff than me (the frames really, not the block prints). please schedule a trip to nyc STAT! bring twin and we can play scatergories, k? xxoo

ps- i hope you're having a most HYOOMIS-rific day!

cross stitch kits said...

lovely little baby bibs, nice colours! thanks for sharing the blog with the pattern