21 August 2008

holga roll #1





I am attempting to embrace the unpredictability of the Holga. This is a "toy" camera that has a huge cult following. It's plastic and rudimentary, but has the potential to produce all kinds of breathtaking and unusual photos. Check out the Holga galleries to see far better examples than my first attempt above. I ordered the starter kit off Amazon, as well as a variety of films. Loading film! Dropping the film off at the photo lab! Coming back the next day to see what came out! Oh, the anticipation! And holding physical, glossy prints in your hand. What an experience. I'd almost forgotten.

Notes to self for next roll: Remember to take off the lens cap. Colored flash filters are dang powerful. Use the "12" frame setting so the frames don't overlap. Try winking at the photo lab tech so he might start giving me a discount.

7 comments:

Nadia said...

Oo! Looks fun! Things like that, that are so simple and cheap let you not be afraid to let loose and have fun. :)

Anonymous said...

love the last portrait. Its the holga at its best! good work, keep it up :)

Clicking Girl said...

you got one! you got one! and that last photo is just breathtaking... ok- im sucking it up and getting one. this cinches it! (ps this is my alter ego, but it you may also know me as mrs penot)

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous!!!! I've wanted a Holga for ages!
~Sarah

carlita dee said...

Why must you show me things like this?

First the Featherweight, now the Holga.

African Kelli said...

I have one of these and have never used it. You've inspired me. Thanks!
Great shots.

Banana-head Pancake said...

I love the look of the shots from this camera. The style makes me feel like they were all special moments in time captured forever then found in a time capsule decades later. Does that make sense? :)