19 August 2007
a bed fit for a (queen) bear
My new bedroom is petite, but happily large enough for a queen bed (unlike my old bedroom which only allowed a twin bed). Instead of buying a full frame for the bed, I made this upholstered headboard. I'm really happy with the way it turned out, even if it does look a little wonky around the feet. But you really can't see that part, so it's ok. I read over some tutorials on the internet (like this one) and then just figured it out as I went along. I stuck with a nice, simple rectangle of plywood and screwed on short planks of 1"x4" to give it legs. I covered it with .5" foam, then wrapped a thick batting and this fabric around the edges. Then I had at it with the staple gun.
The quilt was a bit of a splurge from Anthropologie. I rationalized the purchase, however, by telling myself I would make my own shams. The quilt is a lovely soft, gauzy cotton quilted in a flower pattern with navy thread.
I made the shams out of one of the beautiful block-printed Indian fabrics from Purl. It's a nice heavy fabric, and I love how tailored the shams look.
My bear finds the whole setup very comfortable, indeed.